Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Une Retractation!

I never watched Amelie (La Fabuleux destin d'Amelie Poulain) before, because I thought it was overrated--everyone was screaming hallelujahs about it, I thought there must be something wrong about it. How can a movie please so many people at so many similar points? If all my hard-to-please friends were impressed with it (which is what actually happened), I would have said there is something wrong with their neurons. Some street booze concoction coupled with Baygon must have done it. But all my hard-to-please friends and all my less artistically sensible acquaintances liked, no, adored the film. They can't all be smoking marijuana, can they? Jean-Pierre Jeunet must be more Saruman than me.

Yesterday, in a Faculty Center broom cupboard that fancies itself to be an audio-visual room, I realized there is something wrong with me. I finally saw Amelie and realized the following things:

1. Jeunet is a god.
2. I am falling in love with Audrey Tautou and Mathieu Kassovitz, at the same time.
3. I am a living fossil of the Homo erectus.


No comments: